Are you looking for a way to get away from the noise of the outside world, need some time for yourself, or are you searching for a way to get your mind and body to connect in a deeper way? For many, Yoga can be used in a variety of ways. Physically, yoga can improve balance, flexibility, and strength. Yoga also gives you a sense of mental clarity, awareness, and calm.
Now you may be wondering, how can yoga have such a positive impact on my life? Yoga has been proven time and time again to calm the body’s nervous system, increase blood flow and improve mind-body connection. It can also improve your heart health, and increase the body’s energy and vitality.
If you searched “yoga near me”, you may not know where to start and it may be a bit overwhelming. But, the most important thing is that you find yoga classes that speak to you personally. At Body Positive Works, our yoga studio offers a large selection of different Yoga classes that speak to individual needs. These include specialized offerings for anxiety, depression, addiction and recovery, grief and loss, body image, and trauma.
Body Positive Works, located in Bergen County, offers a different angle on Yoga, where it’s not only about making you feel physically accomplished but puts you on a path of healing and personal growth. With these in mind, these classes can steer you in the right direction towards mindfulness, so that you can better focus on being in the present moment.
It is important to stay in the present moment and focus on what you are doing rather than thinking about what you did before or what is going on after your yoga class. One of our mottos at Body Positive Works is to “be here now”. This motto can be interpreted differently by anyone because with the fast-paced world around us, everyone is still moving at different paces.
One of the best parts about Yoga in Bergen County is that there are so many to choose from, and you don’t have to marry yourself to one studio. Every studio has something unique to offer. At BoPo yoga, there’s a variety of unique concepts. Here are some examples:
No Mirror– Our studio doesn’t even have a mirror! How come? We work to liberate ourselves from body judgment and body shaming. Our belief is that yoga is about connecting with your mind and body, not just about how you look while doing it. It’s important not to worry about others around you and focus on your own journey.
Variety of Class Offerings– Another unique concept at BoPo Yoga is how classes cater to your personal story. Whether you are simply looking for a way to relax or hoping to lead yourself in the right direction of recovery from anxiety, depression, trauma, etc, there are several offerings that make your yoga experience special!
We See Yoga as a Way of Life– Yoga isn’t just about going to a class every once in a while to reduce some stress and stretch out your muscles. A common mistake is that movement is the only part of Yoga. But that’s only scratching the surface. There are actually 8 limbs of yoga that make it a way of life. Here’s a brief explanation of each:
- Yama: this limb deals with ethical standards and how we conduct ourselves in life.
- Niyama: this limb focuses on having self-discipline and spiritual observances.
- Asana: this limb focuses on the postures that are practiced in yoga.
- Pranayama: this limb has to do with breath control and the connection between the breath, the mind, and the emotions.
- Pratyahara: this limb deals with the withdrawal of our senses by drawing attention away from the outside world and focusing our attention to ourselves.
- Dharana: this limb deals with the distractions inside of our own mind, rather than from the outside world.
- Dhyana: this limb focuses on meditation and contemplation, and there is no interruption of the flow of concentration.
- Samadhi: this limb is known as the state where the mediator comes to a profound realization to a connection to the divine and living things.
With all of this in mind, the next time you think about taking a yoga class, remind yourself that each Yoga studio is different. Whether your Yoga journey has started or not, there’s a studio out there that’s perfect for you!